Personal Injury Attorney Serving Those Injured In Motor Vehicle Accidents
The National Safety Council reports that as many as 4.4 million people are injured seriously enough in car accidents to require medical attention.
Injuries from car crashes can cause more than just severe physical impairment. Victims of car accidents may experience life-altering consequences. Having an experienced and skilled litigator like attorney Patrick J. Filan by your side is critical to you getting properly compensated for your injuries.
Experienced Legal Representation for Car Collisions
Broadside or T-bone Collisions
These collisions occur when a vehicle crashes into the vehicle in front of it. Common factors that contribute to rear-end collisions include driver inattention or distraction, tailgating, failure to keep a safe distance, and reduced traction due to weather or worn pavement. Rear-end collisions are serious accidents that may result in injuries with significant long-term side effects. Insurance companies often minimize the severity of these cases. Spinal cord or serious brain injuries may result if the impact is severe enough.
Head-on collisions are dangerous accidents that may lead to severe if not fatal injuries. Statistics show that while head-on crashes account for about 2% of all crashes, they account for 10% of U.S. fatalities. This is due to the velocity of impact as a result of the vehicles traveling in opposite directions.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that 35-40% of all motor vehicle accidents involve intersection collisions. The very nature of an intersection involves multiple vehicles turning left, crossing over, or turning right. Intersection collisions are due most often to driver negligence: not paying attention, failing to look out at the intersection, failing to yield to other vehicles at the intersection, turning with an obstructed view, making an illegal maneuver such as an improper turn, and driver misjudgment. Intersection collisions may result in very serious injuries including traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury including paraplegia or quadriplegia, serious fractures, and neurological injuries.
Rollover Collisions are Rare But Deadly
Motor vehicle traffic crashes are the leading cause of injury-related death in many states. Statistics indicate that:
- An average of 1,098 deaths each year due to unintentional motor vehicle traffic-related injuries, killing 5.6 of every 100,000 New Yorkers. The rates were highest for males and New Yorkers ages 65 and older followed by those 20-24.
- An average of 12,093 hospitalizations each year due to motor vehicle traffic-related injuries, hospitalizing 61.5 of every 100,000 people. The rates were highest for males and New Yorkers ages 20-24 followed by those ages 65 and older.
- An average of 136,913 emergency department (ED) visits each year due to unintentional motor vehicle traffic-related injuries, requiring the treatment of 696.6 of every 100,000 people. The rates are highest for females and ages 20-24 followed by ages 15-19.
Connecticut Motor Vehicle Traffic Injury Statistics For 2018
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 276 fatal motor vehicle crashes occurred in Connecticut in 2018, resulting in 294 deaths.
- New Haven County: 85 deaths
- Hartford County: 60 deaths
- Fairfield County: 45 deaths
- Litchfield County: 25 deaths
- New London County: 24 deaths
- Tolland County: 16 deaths
- Middlesex County: 15 deaths
- Windham County: 14 deaths
Work With an Experienced Car Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured in Connecticut or New York in a car accident, contact The Law Offices of Patrick J. Filan P.C. today for a free consultation on your case. Don’t wait another day to find out if you can be compensated for your pain and injury. Call 203-349-8074.