Patrick J. Filan
- Personal Injuries
- Medical Malpractice
- Car and Truck Collisions
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Defective Products
- Dangerous Drugs
- Attorney Malpractice
- Business Litigation
- Will Contests
- Real Estate Litigation
- Whistleblower Litigation
The son of Irish immigrants, Mr. Filan grew up in Derby, Connecticut and graduated from Duke University where he was a member of the Duke lacrosse team. Patrick earned his law degree from the Ohio State University Moritz College of Law.
While in law school he worked in New York City for a Wall Street law firm, O'Dwyer & Bernstien. This experience included the successful defense of an extradition proceeding brought against an alleged member of the Irish Republican Army charged with shooting an undercover British soldier, In Re Mackin and United States v. Harrison, the successful defense of a federal criminal case brought against alleged members of the IRA charged with shipping arms to Ireland.
Patrick is a seasoned advocate with 30 years of success in routine and complex cases including personal injury cases, cases involving medical malpractice, automobile cases, spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, defective products, dangerous drugs, attorney malpractice, business litigation, will contests, real estate litigation, and whistleblower litigation.
He has obtained successful results in defending persons charged with criminal offenses including felonies, misdemeanors, drug crimes, sex offenses, financial crimes, drunk driving, motor vehicle offenses, and juvenile matters.
Pat represents clients before administrative agencies such as the Connecticut Department of Public Health, Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection, and the United States Drug Enforcement Administration and has obtained dismissals of charges and negotiated resolutions.
Mr. Filan resides in Connecticut with his wife and four children.
- Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, Columbus, Ohio
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1982
- Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
- A.B., Bachelor of Arts - 1978
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Member, Duke lacrosse team
- Connecticut, 1984
- Ohio, 1982
- New York, 1991
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 1983
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 1983
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 1985
- U.S. Federal Court, 1983
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
- In Re Mackin
- United States v. Harrison
- Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Vice Chairman, Medicine and Law Committee, 1990 - Present
- Connecticut Bar Association - Vice Chairman, Medical-Legal Committee, 1992 to 1993
Classes & Seminars
- Managed Care Liability: Future Trends and Liability Issues, Connecticut Bar Association, June 1994
- Peer Review and Credentialing, American Bar Association National Institute on Medical Malpractice May 1993
- O'Dwyer & Bernstien